:: NIZAM CLUB ::
Home  |  Feedback  |   Sitemap
 
  Saga of the Nizam Club

A hundred years in the history of any institution is a landmark; a century of growth and continued progress is a remarkable achievement. His highness the late Nizam Nawab Mir Mahboob Ali Khan Bahadur ascended the throne at the early age of two and a half years. After the expiry of the regency he was vested with full sovereign powers on 5th February 1884 in the presence of the Viceroy, Lord Ripon.

During this period, there was only one major club in the twin cities, the Secunderabad Club, which was exclusive and almost confined to the resident Europeans. Nawab Mir Laiq Ali Khan Bahadur Salar Jung II the Prime Minister felt concerned about this situation and resolved to establish a club for gentlemen of status and culture, irrespective of race, religion or creed. At the request of the Prime Minister, His Highness the Nizam was graciously pleased to grant permission to establish the club in his name.

The Nizam Club was inaugurated on 26th September, 1884, named after the founder of the Asafjahi Dynasty. In the year 1885 a monthly grant of Osmania Sicca Rs. 100/- was sanctioned by the State Government towards rent for a suitable Club building; this grant was continued till the year 1946, when it was discontinued as the finances of the club had improved.

The club was initially housed at the Abid Centre, on a site where the old G.P.O. building was subsequently located. Later it was shifted to premises in the present Mahboobia Girls school complex. In 1903 facilities for playing tennis were made available at the Public Gardens in a branch of the club known as 'Anaila', which was continued till 1906. The growing needs of the club necessitated the purchase of present premises, in 1906 for a sum of Rs. 30,000/- from the late Mr. Gauntlett.