:: NIZAM CLUB ::
Home  |  Feedback  |   Sitemap
 
  CLUB HISTORY

The club was established in the month of Aban 1293 Fasli, under the patronage of H.E.H. the Nizams Government, and owes its origin to a desire to provide a first class club, managed on western lines to which gentlemen of culture and position could be admitted irrespective of race, and creed on terms of social equality. The club registered under the A.P. Societies Act of 1951 and the club is the first society registered in A.P. The elected body consisting of President, Vice-President, Hon. Secretary, Joint Secretary, and 6 members of the Managing Committee maintains the club. The Membership of the club shall be open to all persons with out any distinction of religion, race, caste or sex, subject to the provision of the club rules. The club runs its all activities with no profit, no loss motto. The club maintaince its decipline and decoram as per the club rules to use the club facilities by family gatherings.

The aims and objects of the club are to provide a central place for the residents of the city to meet during leisure hours to take part in indoor and outdoor games and to increase unity and feelings of cordiality among officials, non-officials, Jagirdars and nobles of the Dominions.

The club is located in the heart of the twin cities opposite to A.P. State Assembly Hall.surrounded in 4 acres land.

 

A SHORT HISTORY OF THE NIZAM CLUB

BY

MASOOD AHMED FAROOQI

His Highness the Late Nizam, Nawab Mir Mahbub Ali Khan Bahadur, ascended the throne on 15th Zikada 1285 H. at the age of two and a half years, and it was on 7th Rabius Sani 1301 H. (5th February 1884) that, after the expiry of the period of regency, he was invested with full kingly powers in the presence of the then Viceroy, His Excellency Lord Ripon. The observance of this solemn ceremony ushered in any era of unprecedented peace and progress in Hyderabad. Persons like Nawab Khursheed Jah Bahadur and Inayat Husain Khan Bahadur who were singularly staunch in their loyalty to the King and highly efficient in their service to the country came at the helm of affairs. Availing themselves of the favourable circumstances, they spared no effort to reform and reorganise the various departments of the State and their sincere labours led to what may veritably be called "the dawn of progress" in Hyderabad. It was on this auspicious occasion that Nawab Mir Laik All Khan, Salar Jung II, with a view to foster the spirit of solidarity and cooperation amongst the nobles and the high officials of the State, propose to establish a club. His efforts were soon crowned with success and on Friday the 17th Aban 1293 F. i. e. 26th September 1884 the "Nizam Club" was established after the name of the illustrious founder of the Asaf Jahi dynasty.

The strength of the Club was sixty eight in the beginning; this number varies from time to time and at present it stands at (165). One year after the establishment of the Club i.e. in 1294 F. a monthly grant of Rs. 100/- was made from the Sarfikhas Treasury for renting a suitable building for the Club. This grant was continued till Aban 1298 F. when this item of expenditure was transferred from Sarfikhas Mubarak to Devani. In 1299 F. it was altogether stopped along with all other grants-in-aid of the kind in pursuance of a general order to that effect.

Subsequently the late Nawab Imadul Mulk, the Secretary of the Club and the late justice Nizamuddin Hasan Sahib, one of the members of the Executive Committee, petitioned His Highness The Nizam for reissuing the grant. This request was graciously granted and the Club enjoys that royal favour up to this date.

Thanks to the growing needs of the Club, it had to be shifted from one building to another. This practice caused untold trouble and expense and in 1315 F. the present building was bought for Rupees thirty thousand.

It was a standing rules of the Club that the president of the Club should always be the prime Minister of the State, while its secretaries and joint secretaries were elected from amongst its members. The Names of persons who held these offices are noted below in chronological order:-

VICE - PRESIDENTS

1. Nawab Sir Nizamat Jung Bahadur, 1322 F.

2. Moulvi Habibuddin Sahib - from 1323 to 1325 F.

3. Nawab Sir Nizamat Jung Bahadur, 1326 F.

4. Nawab Sir Hyder Nawaz Jung Bahadur, from 1340 to 1344 F.

5. Nawab Sir Nizamat Jung Bahadur from 1344 to 1349 F.

6. Nawab Mohiuddin Yar Jung Bahadur 1350. F.

SECRETARIES

1. Mahdi Hasan Fateli Nawaz Jung Bahadur, Aban 1293 to 1301 F.

2. Nawab Rafat Yar Jung Bahadur Awwal 1302 F.

3. Nawab Imadul Mulk Bahadur 1303 F.

4. Justice Nizamuddin Hasan 1304 F.

5. Mohd. Amjad Ali Khan 1305 F.

6. Nawab Imadul Nlulk Bahadur from 1306 to 1.313 F.

7. Nawab Hakim Ud Dowla Bahaclur from 1314 to 1325 F.

8. Nawab Sir Nizamat Jung Bahadur, 1325 F.

9. Nawab Saad Jung Bahadur, from 1326 to 1328 F.

10. Nawab Fakhr Yar Jung Bahadur from 1329 to 1343 F.

11. Syed Khurshid All from 1344 to 1349 F.

12. Nawab Rahmat Yar Jung Bahadur 1350 F.

JOINT SECRETARIES

1. Sabapathy Iyer, Bar-at-law Aban 1293 to 1294 F.

2. Nawab Rafat Yar Jung Awwal from 1294 to 1301 F.

3. Syed Mohiuddin Ali Khan, from 1302 to 1303 F.

4. Mohd. Amjad Ali Khan, 1304 F.

5. Mohd. Maslehuddin Hakimuddowla 1305 to 1313 F.

6. Nawab Khedive Jung Bahadur 1314 to 1317 F.

7. Mohd. Siddik 1318 to 1320 F.

8. Syed Ahmed 1321 to 1325 F.

9. Ghulam Ahmed Khan 1326 F.

10. Syed Mohd, Husain Bilgrami 1327 to 1328 F.

11. Syed Khurshid Ali 1329 to 1330 F.

12. Husain Abdul Munim 1330 to 1331 F.

13. Syed Khurshid All 1332 to 1343 F.

14. Moulvi Mohiuddin Mahmood 1344 to 1350 F.

In 1312 F. a branch of, the Club, `Anail by name, was opened in the Public Gardens. But the members of this Club were not allowed to take part in the games of the mother institution. Shortly afterwards, the tennis court at Public Gardens was sold for Rs. 500/- to the Waltair Club and the members of the branch were transferred to the Nizam Club.

Permanent arrangements for billiards and tennis formed the chief features of the Club; but separate fees were charged for each game. This rule was soon abolished as it led to a great fall in the number of its members.

New members were admitted to the Club on the recommendation of the majority of the Executive Committee; in 1318 F. the system of election by ballot was enforced. An admission fee of Rs. 100/- and a monthly fee of Rs. 10/- were charged in the beginning, but the scale of fees was later reduced to Rs. 50/- and Rs. 5/- respectively. This scale was again revised in 1330 F. when it was fixed at Rs. 100/- for admission and Rs. 7/- towards monthly subscription for the resident members and Rs. 2/- for non-resident members.

Nawab Nizamath Jung Bahadur succeeded Nawab Hakimuddowla, as the secretary of the Club on the death of the latter in 1335 F. An extra ordinary meeting of the Club was held and it was unanimously decided that a library should be opened in the Club in memory of its late distinguished secretary. This decision infused new vigour in the minds of the arduous supporters of this motion: in contributing lavishly to the number of books that were already present in the library of the Club.

Nawab Sir Nizamat Jung Bahadur, Nawab Aziz Jung Bahadur, Moulvi4V1ohamed Ahmed Sahib, Bar-at-law, Moulvi Mahbub Ali Sahib, Moulvi Mahmud All Sahib, retired Talukdar, and Nawab Zoolcader Jung Bahadur tried to enrich the library by their subscriptions and private donations of books. A substantial sum of Rs. 500/- was earmarked every year in the budget of the club for the purchase of books for the library.

But the zeal shown by some of the members, unhappily, soon subsided and the authorities found themselves forced to exclude this recurring item of expenditure from the general budget. The library, thereafter, fell in dire neglect which has been separately delineated by justice Dr. Nawab Nazir Yar Jung Bahadur in painful detail. justice Dr. Nawab Nazir Yar Jung Bahadur is the first secretary who has taken pains to reform and reorganise the library and has drawn up a catalogue of books on modern lines.

The present Dinner Hall of the Club owes its existence to the initiative and efforts of Nawab Hakimud-dowla and is a living monument to his versatile and dignified personality.

In 1326 F. electric light was fitted in the Club and the Main gate was constructed between the original two gates which were subsequently closed. Shortly afterwards a telephone was installed for the convenience of the members and a radio receiving set was also provided in the Drawing Room of the Club. Thanks to the ceaseless efforts of the present Joint Secretary of the Club Mr. Mohiuddin-Mahmood, the garden is being laid out and trimmed afresh. The constructions of garages which now under way will contribute in no little measure in making the frontage of the building magnificent and imposing.

Three dinners were held in the Club every year; one on the occasion of H. E. H. the Nizams Birthday, and the other two on Id days. Dinners are also held on certain important occasions whenever some visitor of fame or position is entertained at the club. One of these dinners was held in honour of the visit of Lord Headley to the Hyderabad State. The other two important occasions were one when Sir Ali Imam became the Prime Minister and the other when the title of Sir was awarded to Nawab Nizamat Jung Bahadur.

In 1322 F. the members of the Club granted a large sum of money in aid of the Red Crescent Society, Istambul, and a grand illumination was made at the memorable occasion of the return of His Exalted Highness from Delhi.

The club is now entering the fifty sixth year of its life. That it has made remarkable progress is self evident. We now look eagerly to the day when in 1353 F. When the Club will celebrate its golden jubilee with due splendour.